Need a quick, easy snack idea… one that lacks grains, dairy, and all the toxic processed crud and sugar in mainstream snack foods?
We love Lara bars in the household, but don’t purchase them too often anymore.
Why? When we have them, we tend to eat them. A lot. Even when we don’t “need” to. In a family of 4, that can add up pretty quickly. Lara bars are not inexpensive when you buy them by the truck load!
Hence, do it yourself “Lara” bars!
Paleo “Lara” Bars
1 cup raw almonds
½ cup raw walnuts
¾ cup pitted dates, packed
1 cup unsweetened dried apple slices
¼ cup raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with wax paper so that 2 inches or so hang off each edge of the dish.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor (or the “dry” container of a Vitamix-type appliance) and blend until finely chopped and sticky.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and cover with wax paper. Press the mixture down, using your hands, until smooth.
- Lift the mixture out of the pan, using the edges of the wax paper, and place on a cutting board. Cut into 12 bars and wrap with wax paper or store in a glass container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Easy peesy. My home school students make these as part of their nutrition class!
What have you added to this basic recipe to make your bars even more dee-lish?
(We’ve added carob chips, dried pineapple, coconut flakes…)
We still don’t make these too often… or I’d just keep eating them! Can’t even blame it on the kids! They’re just too addicting!
Dr. Colleen Trombley-VanHoogstraat (“Dr Mom Online”) is a popular personality in Natural Health & Wellness. She is a Doctor of Chiropractic with 20 years of hands-on clinical experience in the Wellness Practice she shares with her husband, Dr. Marc VanHoogstraat, in Michigan. She is also the proud home schooling mom of two rather fabulous youngsters.
Her unique perspective of the science of Wellness provides predictable solutions and transformational results for those struggling with chronic health issues, as well as those seeking lifelong health. To discover her simple strategies for creating better health through nutrition, movement and mindset, regularly visit http://DrMomOnline.com, http://Facebook.com/DrMomOnline and http://Twitter.com/DrMomOnline.
Also, check out her available books at http://amazon.com/author/drcolleen .
For more information about working privately with Dr. Colleen and Dr. Marc in an Investigative & Functional Health Recovery Program for any number of metabolic and health issues, such as thyroid imbalance, weight loss resistance, hormonal imbalance, food sensitivity & gut permeability, autoimmune conditions, cellular detoxification, mercury detoxification, and more, please contact Dr. Colleen directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or http://Facebook.com/DrMomOnline. Personalized distance programs are available.