We know that a “healthy lifestyle” is comprised of several factors: nutrition, exercise, mental & emotional balance, stress management, proper sleep, and so on. Creating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle takes ongoing effort and intention in the choice-making department.
In order to consistently move in the desirable direction along the ‘sliding scale of health’, toward optimal health and function, as opposed to loss of health, dysfunction, and dis-ease, we need to be intentional with our lifestyle choices.
When we add more “pure & sufficient” choices in the areas of diet, exercise, stress management, etc…. and reduce or eliminate “toxic & deficient” choices in these areas, we create the shift required for optimal health to be expressed.
This is what we’ve talked about in our practice and coaching programs for years. The lifestyle choices we make on a consistent basis will shape our overall health and level of function.
While ALL components of our lifestyle matter, nutrition plays a critically important and foundational role in shaping our health, how we feel, how we look, and how our bodies will respond to the daily stressors and toxicity thrown our way.
The ‘diet’ we encourage our practice members to consume is a low-toxicity, anti-inflammatory, low-sugar, balanced, REAL foods diet. This “healthy lifestyle diet” simply focuses on the least toxic sources of protein, fats, and plant-based foods, while staying properly hydrated with pure & beneficial beverages.
We avoid conventional grains and dairy, as well as man-made factory foods.
Ideally, we’re doing some type of cleansing and cellular detoxification on a ‘regular’ basis – whatever that means to you! It could be short cleanses every month, or more comprehensive detoxification seasonally. It’s nice to start our nutrition upgrades with a clean slate, so to speak.
These are the most important diet & nutrition upgrades we recommend:
- Change to healthy fats and remove bad fats (no man-made synthetic fats, trans fats, or vegetable oils)
- Upgrade your meat & animal food sources (grass-fed, pastured, free-range, drug-free, wild, cultured, lacto-fermented)
- Decrease/eliminate refined grains and sugar
- Eliminate gluten
- Eat plenty of vegetables, some fruit, and add traditionally cultured & fermented foods
- Add only the core nutritional supplements/complements that your body truly needs (is currently deficient in). e.g. most of us truly need to add beneficial bacteria in the form of superior quality probiotics, and most of us could use help with ongoing detox and adaptation to stress.
- In addition to pure water, hydrate with beneficial & functional fluids (e.g. coconut water, fermented beverages, etc.)
When you follow these dietary recommendations, then we KNOW this is what’s happening:
- There is a reduction of inflammation throughout your entire body
- Your body is continuing the process of detoxification because this type of diet heals the cell membrane, where true detoxification must occur
- Dysregulated hormone function is returning to more regulated hormonal function as the cell membrane continues to heal
The return on your nutrition investment is HUGE!
Inflammation, Toxicity, and Dysregulation of Hormonal Function are the 3 main players that set the stage for serious illness!
This means that your risk for EVERY serious, chronic, degenerative “disease of lifestyle” is significantly reduced the longer you follow this dietary approach!
“Let food be thy medicine.”
As a bonus, it’s also easier for your body to maintain an optimal body composition (weight, body fat percentage, lean muscle mass) with this type of diet and cleansing.
Instead of counting calories and food “points”, count your blessings… and choose better food!
Dr. Colleen Trombley-VanHoogstraat (“Dr Mom Online”) is a popular personality in Natural Health & Wellness. She is a Doctor of Chiropractic with 19 years of hands-on clinical experience in the Wellness Practice she shares with her husband, Dr. Marc VanHoogstraat, in Michigan. She is also the proud (home schooling) mom of two rather fabulous youngsters.
Her unique perspective of the science of Wellness provides predictable solutions and transformational results for those struggling with chronic health issues, as well as those seeking lifelong health. To discover her simple strategies for creating better health through nutrition, movement and mindset, regularly visit http://DrMomOnline.com, http://Facebook.com/DrMomOnline and http://Twitter.com/DrMomOnline.
Also, check out her available books at http://amazon.com/author/drcolleen .
For more information about working privately with Dr. Colleen and Dr. Marc in an Investigative & Functional Health Recovery Program for any number of metabolic and health issues, such as thyroid imbalance, weight loss resistance, hormonal imbalance, food sensitivity & gut permeability, autoimmune conditions, cellular detoxification, and more, please contact Dr. Colleen directly at email@example.com or http://Facebook.com/DrMomOnline. Personalized distance programs are available.